Campaign steering committee leads by example
Of the 121,612 individual gifts and pledges made to the Campaign for Appalachian, six from the campaign’s steering committee members already are making – or will make – a significant impact at Appalachian.
The gifts and pledges were designed to support scholarships, build or improve buildings, and enhance existing programs.
Steering committee’s gifts and commitments
- A major commitment from Bonnie and Jamie Schaefer of Blowing Rock and Florida paved the way for the opening of the renovated Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts, and provides continued resources for An Appalachian Summer Festival.
- A major commitment from Brad ’75 and Carole ’75 Wilson of Raleigh established the Wilson Scholars Program, Appalachian’s premier merit scholarship program.
- A major commitment from Alice G. Roess of Blowing Rock will benefit international travel experiences for students in the Holland Fellows Program for Business Study in Asia, the arts and athletics.
- A major commitment from Don ’72 and Pat Phillips of Ashe County and Florida will support the College of Health Sciences, Belk Library and Information Commons and athletics.
- A major gift from George G. Beasley ’58 of Florida established the George G. Beasley Media Complex.
- A major gift from Walter and Martha Ann Murray of Winston-Salem supports the Appalachian Commitment to a College Education for Student Success (ACCESS) scholarship program.
The 14-member steering committee consisted of Brad ’75 and Carole ’75 Wilson, co-chairs, George G. Beasley ’58, Avery B. Hall ’93, Martha Ann Murray, Walter V. Murray, Don Phillips ’72, Pat Phillips, Alice G. Roess, Bonnie Schaefer, Jamie Schaefer, Michael Steinback, Cathy Steinback and J. Douglas Williams ’83.
“It has taken the entire Appalachian Family to exceed the $200 million goal,” said Susan Pettyjohn, vice chancellor for university advancement. “I especially am grateful for the invaluable assistance of the campaign steering committee and campaign co-chairs Brad and Carole Wilson, members of the Board of Trustees, Appalachian State University Foundation, Board of Visitors and Appalachian Alumni Council. Their guidance helped my team in University Advancement exceed our fundraising goal.”