Collection commemorates Professor Beulah Campbell’s lasting impact
Appalachian State University lost a friend, colleague and contributor, Beulah Campbell, Nov. 12, 2016. Campbell first worked on the Appalachian campus in 1943 as an elementary teacher in the demonstration school of Appalachian State Teachers’ College. She returned as a professor in the College of Learning and Human Development from 1957 to 1981.
Campbell opened up the dialogue among educators, artists and authors about diversity in children’s books with the establishment of an institute for black literature that was rated nationally as one of the top ten institutes in 1970. Over the course of her career, Campbell was recognized nationally by the Department of Education, received the Trustees Award for Outstanding Teaching at Appalachian and was esteemed by authors and educators worldwide.
Established in 1979, The Beulah Campbell Collection, housed in the Belk Library and Information Commons, includes children’s literature materials ranging from 1925 to 2010. Campbell personally curated the collection by purchasing original illustrations and bookmaking artifacts for Appalachian. Interim Dean of Libraries Mary Reichel said about the collection: “It is an honor for the library, with the Reich College of Education, to build on Ms. Campbell’s legacy and for the library to house a marvelous collection of children’s literature artwork.”
More than 400 illustrations from the collection can be accessed online. The library currently houses more than 140 of the books associated with the collection. All original artwork is accessible by appointment in the university’s Special Collections on the fourth floor of the Belk Library and Information Commons.
To view the collection, researchers should contact email@example.com or call Greta Browning, curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts, at (828) 262-7702. If you would like to donate to the preservation of the collection, contact Gina Harwood, director of development for the University Libraries at (828) 262-6563.